Thursday, January 29, 2009

Blast from the Past

Driving home from my friend's house today I heard the song Honey, I Miss You. I haven't heard this song in DECADES. Growing up, my parents loved to entertain so our house was party central. By the end of the night when everyone was schnockered, they'd gather around the player piano and sing songs til the wee hours. Whenever they put in this roll, I would rush to the top of stairs and belt out the words as loud as I could. I LOVED this song. I even performed a few solos for their friends. Shocking I know.

This was one of the first songs I ever learned to play on the piano. When I heard it today in the car (station is 104.5, they play a great variety of oldies) I belted out the words and somehow remembered every last one. It's amazing how some songs you just never forget. I didn't really know at the time (I was maybe 5 or 6) that this song was about someone who died. When I realized it some years later I'd cry everytime it came on the radio or when we played on the player piano.

It really took me back. I'll try and play it on the piano tonight, just for old time's sake and see if Tom will sing along. Side note: Tom's favorite song when he was little was Rhinestone Cowboy and that was my favorite song too! It came on the radio when we were driving up here from California and we both sang our hearts out. Yes, BIG DORKS.

Anyway here is a clip of Honey, I Miss You (lyrics below too)



See the tree, how big it's grown
But friend it hasn't been too long
It wasn't big
I laughed at her and she got mad
The first day that she planted it, was just a twig
Then the first snow came
And she ran out to brush the snow away
So it wouldn't die
Came runnin' in all excited
Slipped and almost hurt herself
And I laughed till I cried
She was always young at heart
Kinda dumb and kinda smart and I loved her so
And I surprised her with a puppy
Kept me up all Christmas Eve two years ago
And it would sure embarrass her
When I came in from workin' late
'Cause I would know
That she'd been sittin' there and cryin'
Over some sad and silly late, late show

And honey, I miss you
And I'm bein' good
And I'd love to be with you
If only I could

She wrecked the car and she was sad
And so afraid that I'd be mad
But what the heck
Though I pretended hard to be
Guess you could say she saw through me
And hugged my neck
I came home unexpectedly
And caught her cryin' needlessly
In the middle of the day
And it was in the early Spring
When flowers bloom and robins sing
She went away

And honey, I miss you
And I'm bein' good
And I'd love to be with you
If only I could

One day while I was not at home
While she was there and all alone
The angels came
Now all I have is memories of Honey
And I wake up nights and call her name
Now my life's an empty stage
Where Honey lived and Honey played
And love grew up
And a small cloud passes overhead
And cries down on the flower bed
That Honey loved

And see the tree how big it's grown
But friend it hasn't been too long
It wasn't big
And I laughed at her and she got mad
The first day that she planted it, was just a twig

5 comments:

Gberger said...

Can't read the words, because I know them, and I would cry, too. It will make me smile to picture little Laura performing it for parties!

Desert Rat said...

Awe, I've never heard that song before but it's so cute and catchy. I got goosebumps listening and reading the words.

Me said...

I'm glad you liked it Desert Rat. I don't think I've ever heard it on any radio station, since I was probably 8 or 9 years old. I was surprised they had a youtube clip too!

Unknown said...

Never heard that song...very cute thinking of you performing it. My favorite line "She was kinda dumb and kinda smart.." Oh, how I wish my husband said those things about me! :)

Anonymous said...

I love that song. It makes me cry, and cry, and cry...