Monday, January 12, 2009

Another bird hit the window

(*updates below...including video and final update)

this time HARD.

I got him in a box and wrapped up in a towel. He's such a little guy too. This just rips out my heart. I pray that he's going to make it.

I will update in a bit.

9:30am
Here is a picture of the sweetheart. Not keeping his eyes open very much. I'm going to stay with him for a bit and keep him awake. Please say a little prayer? I know that might sound hokey to ask for prayers for a little bird of nature but we are all God's creatures and have a will and desire to be on this earth. And this guy is struggling but he's able to move his head so he may have a chance. I think pretty much everyone who reads and comments on here is an animal/nature lover so I don't think it's too crazy to ask for prayers. Plus I feel partly responsible for renting this house with all these blasted windows so I am going to do whatever it takes to not lose another innocent soul.



I took some pics of the stupid windows that the birds keep smashing into.

this is the main one in the living room where the majority of casualties occur:



this one is in the study area and thankfully there is covering on the lower part which helps a lot:



this is at the front of the house where we've had a couple birds hit but only lost one (as far as we know):



10:00am
Wrigs is concerned and keeps watch over the little guy.



I really think a career in nursing is in his future. He is being very calm and quiet, as he looks after little bird. (and yes, those are 2 more sun lights in the background.)



10:30am
Litte Bird has perked up and is looking aroud!



Having some issues uploading to youtube but here is some video from 11am:



He wasn't ready to go. He rested for a bit and then as he was sitting on my hand he hopped up my arm and then flew to the ledge:



...where he sat for a bit. Still not quite ready to go.

I headed inside to figure out how to stick on these static cling things because the LAST thing I wanted was for this poor guy to fly right back into a window. The cling things on these tall windows are a disaster, one is stuck on the bottom ledge of the top window so I'll have to wait for Tom to get home and bring in the ladder. And the other I sort of threw half ass on the front window (because I was literally hanging over the balcony, one tip toe touching the ground) but it didn't end up in a great place so we'll try to fix that with the ladder too.

After dealing with that I went back to check on little bird and he was chirping! Such a precious little squeak chirp. The camera was inside and I thought about rushing back to get it but it was too late because after a few chirps he hopped off the ledge and off he flew! He chirped as he soared through the trees and he looked strong and steady. This has made my day!

Thank you to everyone who kept this little guy in your thoughts and prayers. I am grateful for your kindness.

And now, I'm off to finally START my day!

26 comments:

Lindsey said...

oh dear. poor guy. perhaps your windows are too sparkling clean?

Me said...

They're really not that clean but just very big and next to a big tree. I'll take a pic of the windows because it will explain why these poor guys keep hitting them.

Erin said...

Oh....so sorry. You are so sweet to help the little bird.

A friend of mine had similar problems and was told to put vinyl stickers on the window. Just a dot will do. Surprisingly it has helped. Just FYI. Don't know if you can reach the high windows though.

Moooooog35 said...

This is why birds are just one step ahead of Paris Hilton on the food chain.

Busy Bee Suz said...

It is never hokey to say a prayer for an animal....I hope he does well. you are such a kind soul...I am happy to know that I am not the only person who is concerened with every animal I encounter.
All those windows.....and the haze, it must wreak havoc on all the birds. There must be something available to help.
I like your "where we have lived" sidebar...girl, you get around!!!!

Busy Bee Suz said...

Oh, and Wrigs...he is just the sweetest. Maybe he was a nurse in his past life?

ChiTown Girl said...

Girl!! You need to put something on those windows already. Did you look into getting the window clings I had suggested a while back? This has got to be killing you. Me, I would just be scooping them up with a shovel and tossing them into the can. But YOU, you're a good person!!

lizziebelle said...

HE IS CONCUSSED

that is so sad. wrigs is so cute. there is no telling what touf would do to such a defenseless little bird. truth be told he would probably try to pin it to a hat so he could promenade.

fruitcake.

Me said...

I am going to look for those window clings today but as Erin mentioned, I'm not sure how I'm going to reach the high parts, even with a ladder. Maybe I could just throw them up there? There is a little ledge above the fireplace that I could stand on but I seriously have visions of me falling and breaking my neck only to have Tom find me dead clutching a box of clings.

Can you guys recommend a place to buy them? A hardware store or speciality pet store.

I have good news about this bird! Am uploading some video now!

Stephanie said...

You have such a good heart. And clearly so does Wrigley. :)

Clippy Mat said...

Paging Dr. Wrigley, Paging Dr. Wrigley LOL
and where was Nurse Chumley?
no doubt pacing back and forwards waiting for the little bird to er... move on?
I think Chumley is using some kind of secret signal to bring them to him.
:-)

Erin said...

You are such a good person, and I don't even know you. Your video brought tears to my eyes. You spoke so kindly to the little bird.

As far as the cling-on things, my daughter has dots for her walls (as decorations) that I got at Target. Probably would do the job nicely. Could you get a long extension pole? I don't want you to hurt yourself.

Anonymous said...

and???????

Me said...

OMG Erin you just reminded me! I remember seeing those gel things at Target near the card aisle. I just got back from the garden store and got these ultra violet hawk static paper things BUT I don't think I'll be able to reach the top window. I will get to Target and get those gel cling things. I think I could just throw them up there and they may stick. Thank you so much for your kind words and for taking the time to watch the video. I am still trying to upload another video.

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers for this little guy. His story is coming to a close...

Anonymous said...

You should have let nature run its course. Theres to much bird shit everywhere anywhere.

Me said...

Anon: "Nature" didn't create the 3 story windows attached to this house that is causing these birds harm. And yes, they shit everywhere, anywhere? but that's because they are living creatures and I can't just sit back and watch a living being suffer. Just not gonna happen.

Anonymous said...

You're A real life Bird Whisperer! I hope he ends up flying away. You did good no matter what.

Lindsey said...

anonymous should only be so lucky they are not a bird. you are too cute smiley. i would have probably flipped out and dropped the poor little thing if it had jumped on my hand! bring on the next video!

Anonymous said...

It really is gray and nasty there! I'm so sorry- I couldn't take that wet cold gray either. Good thing you got more sun lamps. Where do you buy them? I have a sister in Portland who needs one. Another CA transplant and she's not adjusting very well.

Come back to LA for some sunshine!

Anonymous said...

I'm going to have bad dreams about this. I just know it.

Unknown said...

You amaze me with your patience for all of the birds that sadly, seem to have hit your windows! I don't know if you were wearing the gloves for the cold or to avoid touching the bird, but as I was watching the video before seeing your gloves, my first thought was "wear gloves!" :)

I hope he can get up and fly away soon...he does seem to have recovered quickly! I'm sure there's a bird flock somewhere talking about the nice woman who saved their lives! :) keep us posted!

Bon Don said...

Thank goodness he's okay... That's way too much guilt with all the little birdy's always knocking themselves out on your window! Wriggs should open his own little birdy clinic he's such a good nurse!

Anonymous said...

I know we don't know each other at all but it really does make me have a little faith in humanity to know that there are people out there like you in the world. From your evil cat that you love (I would too) to the birds you try and save, you just seem like an all around great person!!

Lizy said...

Great going Laura! You're such a good person!

Me said...

Thank you for the sweet comments, all of you. The fact that you were touched by this innocent bird shows you would have done the same thing. And Valerie, you are too kind. Thank you.

And to anon with a sister in Portland, I ordered my first sun box on line I think through ebay (my husband actually ordered it because I was having a really hard time in October - little did I know it only gets worse.)

The other 2 smaller ones are from Coscto. They look like speakers and show the people on the box using them at work on either side of their computer. My thoughts and prayers go out to your sis. I can completely sympathize with her. It's too bad she's not in Seattle because we could at least be miserable together!

Fidget Midget said...

I'm a new reader of your blog, and absolutely love it! Especially your animals and joking about poop. Ah, good times.

That little bird is so cute! I'm glad to know he got better. I'm a big animal lover as well (studying zoology), so I'll be checking back more often. Nice to know there are people who respect even the small creatures!