Thursday, May 15, 2008

This meeting is adjourned.

I just returned from a 2.5 hour home owner's association meeting to SAVE OUR TREE. Right as the meeting was called to order I was the first person asked to speak which totally threw me off guard. But I said my piece with confidence and conviction and right at the end I felt like I could burst into tears. But I held it together. There were some intense and heated moments between some of the homeowners and one of the grumpy old man board members and a couple fellow home owners almost went to blows. I can see where these things can turn violent. I seriously think the majority of people who sit on these boards are law school drop outs. One man spent 20 fricking minutes explaining the construction of flag poles and whether or not they should be attached to the home or free standing. I was ready to suggest another place he could stick a flag pole but somehow I refrained.

There is so much more I could go into on this meeting but I don't want to put you all to sleep. Let's just say there is a committee for every possible thing you can imagine under the sun. Several times I felt pressure to join one of these committees but after seeing how this operation runs I did not put my hand up. I did however want to ask if they could possibly switch to using non scented-biodegradable doggy poop bags but that would have kept us there til midnight so again I refrained.

As for the tree, I will be notified by the end of tonight (the Executive Board is deciding this right now and it's now 9:31) so we'll see. Though I'm pretty certain it's coming down. There were a couple cool board members who appreciated my view point and considerations but I think the lawyers ultimately have control over this because of liability issues.

I'm sure I'll post as soon as I hear. Until then, I've got a vintage Bucklin Cabernet in one hand and a handful of cheese nips in the other. Dinner.

3 comments:

Justin said...

So sad. We have Eucalypts here and they are stunning. The smell of them reminds me of home no matter where I am. If they do have to cut it down - I would suggest that they plant some trees equal to the output that tree had on the environment (it's not saving the tree but at least it's a move to replace it). Well done anyway - Justin

Suzanne said...

Wow. the things you have to do to get things done...just crazy.
I hope it all works out fo the tree.

HWHL said...

I've always had the opinion that people who sit on HOA Boards were the ones who took great GLEE at being tattle-tales as little children.....
I may be wrong, but everyone in my experience at HOA meetings is this way.... (that, and they love nothing more than the sound of their own voices...) Such a waste of time.

Good for you, for sticking to your guns though and maintaining your composure.