Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Out with a bang...

My mom went home today and it was sad to see her off. But while driving to the airport I looked over into a canyon area off the toll roads and saw puffs of white smoke. It appeared to be the start of a wild fire. My sister was driving and between the two of us we both were trying to get a hold of some non-emergency type dispatcher to inform them of the smoke. FYI, 311 didn't work from our cell phones. Maybe it was not available on the stretch of road we were traveling, not quite sure. At any rate we encountered a cluster f*ck of not-in-service phone numbers in our attempt to get a hold of someone in the county. My sister finally got through to the California Highway Patrol and zeroed out until she got an operator. So when I got home I found the number online and programmed it into my cell phone.

Here's a link of the counties for those of you in California and I highly recommend that all of you program your county's information into your phones as well.

California Highway Patrol

You never know when you're going to need it.

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

Sure am going to miss the Momisms.
I agree about having local numbers in your phone.
I had to do this after having a fender bender....I did not want to call 911. So now I keep the non-emergency number in my cell and at home on an "emergency" call list.

Moooooog35 said...

Is Erik Estrada's number in there?!

Anyway...thanks for the numbers. I just called in a wildfire I saw on the side of a California highway as well.

I live in New Hampshire...so this should be pretty funny.

TTQ said...

Here in Florida we are having tons of fires right now in my county and the two surrounding ones, like closing I-95 bad. A friend of our got stuck in Ft. Laud because all roads to his house up here were closed. The did arrest someone for arson yesterday..YAY!

Stephanie said...

They were talking on the news this morning that due to the dry weather and high temps we're expecting today, we're at high risk for fire outbreaks. Scary. The fires freak me out. Thanks for the information!