Sunday, August 10, 2008

Pondering


It's early Sunday evening, I'm sitting in my favorite room, with a glass of chilled wine while Tom does the usual Sunday yard work. There's a gentle breeze blowing in from the window and every once in a while I get a whiff of fresh cut grass. Both animals are here with me and occasionally look over at me and then each other before plopping their heads down to rest.

I'm now watching the Honeymooners on our little wireless tv. I LOVE this show. But sometimes it stresses me out to watch it. I can't help but think, "How the hell did they fit everything in that tiny little 2 room apartment!?! And, the only piece of furniture they have is that one small 3 drawer dresser that never seems to be full because they can hide big packages in there for each other. And they have no couch or even comfy chair to sit in. AND NO TV?!?!"

All I can say is that if we had to live like that today, the Honeymoon would most definitely be over.

I do want to learn to live with less though. Especially now that we are going to be downsizing quite a bit for our move to the city. I need to learn to let go of things, thoughts, worries, old habits, anything that will or has been holding me back to living a full life.

Funny how a simple little show from long ago can bring perspective to our crazy world of today.

2 comments:

Christina said...

I love this sentiment. I think your notion is one we should all learn to live by.

HWHL said...

Boy, isn't THAT the truth.... I Love Lucy is one of my VERY favorite shows and I'm always thinking what a simple life Lucy and Ricky had..... (And Fred and Ethel too....) :-)