Thursday, November 06, 2008

sweet little bird

So I was sitting in front of my sun box sipping a glass of wine pretending I'm at an outdoor cafe in Laguna Beach, when there's a loud CRASH at the window. It was a bird. I rushed outside and watched as the bird stretched out his belly and then shut his eyes. I screamed "DON'T DIE!!!" and ran back into the house to grab some gloves, towels and a pail and rushed back outside.

I gently lifted him into the pail and he started to open just one eye. He's now breathing but he hasn't moved his head at all so I'm afraid that his neck is broken. I called the vet's office and they are not certified to work with wildlife but they gave me the number of a place that is but they are now closed. The woman told me to keep the bird warm and out of the rain overnight and then bring him by first thing in the morning. Tom has me paranoid about West Nile (he watched some show yesterday of all days about a guy who caught the virus from simply throwing away a dead bird so he does not want the bird inside) so in a bit I'm going to move him into the garage and put a heating pad down for him. I am praying that he makes it through the night.

Please say a little prayer for this little guy. Just watching him struggle to breathe and open his eye is heart breaking and makes me realize that every little creature has significance and is worthy in this world.




He's so beautiful.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's exactly why I don't clean the windows is so birds won't run into them.

HWHL said...

Awwww.... he is a cute little bird. I hope he's OK.

-Lizmaster B said...

West Nile is more common here then out there and that's saying a lot because it's not really common here at all. Most people get West Nile virus (80%) and never know it or show any symptoms and it mearly goes away on it's own. 20% get cold like symptoms and only 1% ever get the strain that can cause death. Not that I've looked this up or anything... So don't fret, the bird will be just fine inside (if you decide that). I bet he thought your sun lamp was the actual sun, he probably doesn't see it enough and got confused. Hmm. Well, Good luck, I hope he lives!

Busy Bee Suz said...

I hope he is ok. I am very sympathetic to wildlife too...they are on their own. I found a dead bird in the yard last week. I think a hawk had it and dropped it for me. thanks. I had to dispose of him so the dogs wouldnt do it for me....

Tina Bass said...

Oh, please let us know what happens. I'm on the verge of tears right now. Poor little guy :/

Me said...

Thanks for your thoughts and hope for the the bird. I'm so sad he didn't make it.

Lizzy b- I didn't realize the strain that causes death was so rare. The way the news used to make it sound you'd think just by looking at a bird you could pick up the virus and die.

Tina- I know you love animals and I'm sorry to make you sad. These innocent creatures really get to me too. We have to do something about this big window because this is going to keep happening especially now that the leaves on the trees are almost gone.

lizziebelle said...

i am sad for the bird. birds are so fragile and amazing. however, these first sentence of this post was really funny. remember to tell yourself that the bird died dry and snuggled in a pail instead of wet and in the rain and you made that happen. xo

(still seriously contemplating sending you a liter of charleston made sweet tea vodka and an ugly doll)

ChiTown Girl said...

The most important thing to me in this post is that you have your lamp working!! How did you manage that? Did you get an emergency electrician to come over and rewire the entire house?