Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Happiness

My girlfriend and I have been reading the book Eat Pray Love and the other day she read me an excerpt which caused me to pause and reflect on our current situation.

"Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it. You have to participate relentlessly in the manifestations of your own blessings. And once you have achieved a state of happiness, you must never become lax about maintaining it, you must make a mighty effort to keep swimming upward into that happiness forever, to stay afloat on top of it."

I really need to remember these words and maybe even carry them with me.

5 comments:

amanda said...

Oh, me too....

HWHL said...

Abraham Lincoln had a great quote that I am reminded of: "People are about as happy as they make up their minds to be". A simple statement, but with a lot of truth behind it.

Hey, speaking of HAPPY, there is a new picture of a certain happy puppy on my blog, that was just emailed to me by the breeder. Judging by the dirt on her little nose, she is QUITE the little digger. Ruby will be THRILLED to have a digging companion for her backyard efforts (sometimes Hubster and I call Ruby "Shawshank" for all her tunneling efforts....)

Anonymous said...

That is just what I needed to read. Thanks lady!

Kristin Allen said...

I LOVE this book. Just finished it and found so many parts of it worth holding onto.

Suzanne said...

awwwww. Great quote.
Remember too, it is not always where you are that matters, but who is there with you.
You will have your love and all your babies too.