Friday, July 06, 2007

The things we love...


Tom and I have this thing we do when we're annoyed at something the other one does, we'll say, "I love it when you....(insert annoying habit/pet peeve here.)" It still gets the point across but since we're using it in the same sentence with the word love, it doesn't seem so critical and harsh.

So this morning on our walk around the lake, OUT OF THE BLUE he starts in with...

him: "I love it when you leave the sponge you use to clean up Chumley's pee in MY sink, so that when I get up to brush my teeth in the morning, I have to rinse off the pee sponge with one hand before I can spit out my toothpaste."

me: "You love that do you? I knew you would. Well speaking of sponges, I love it when I come upstairs to the bathroom and find you scrubbing the hardware in the shower with my body loofah. I REALLY love that."

him: "That's why I do it, 'cause you love it so much! But really, if someone cleaned the shower more frequently, I wouldn't have to use your body loofah to wipe down the layers of scum and grime before I take my shower." (now he reaches for my hand)

me: "Ahhh, you're so sweet. And I do love how ridiculously ANAL you are about cleanliness. It's quite cute." (I give his hand an uncomfortably tight squeeze.)

him: "Well, we're a good balance because I love how completely unaffected you are when it comes to living in squalor. How many months has the dining room table been covered in all your crafts? I love that you can look at that crap day in and day out and not be fazed by the mess. But I wonder... if I were to bring out my entire tool shed and lay out all my tools and kept them there for 6 months would you love that as much as I do?" (this time a tighter squeeze and rough swing of the arm.)

me: "You're right about that! I'd love it sooo much! But I don't want you to have to go to the trouble of doing that. There's already so many other things I love about you! Oh, oh, here's one of my favorites....when you come home from work and decide to take off your dress shoes while in the bathroom...I LOVE how you just happen to leave them there so the next morning when I use the bathroom in the dark I trip over them almost BASHING my face into the toilet. Oh how I LOVE that!"

him: "First of all, it's hardly dark when YOU wake up in the morning. And secondly, I LOVE how you wake up like a zombie clod hopping around the house, staring straight ahead like Frankenstein, barking out orders to me and the animals while tripping over anything in your path including...the animals! It's ok to look down sometimes you know."

(long pause)
me: "You know what I REALLY love??"

him: "Can't wait to hear this."

me: "You."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is pretty funny. I've been with my boyfriend for 4 years and we do that all the time with each other. The complaints also mirror ours. I'm the slob of the relationship, relatively speaking of course. I love couplehood, don't you? :-)

I also love reading your blog! I'm from Chicago and I've been of your blog "lurkers" for some time. Great writing style.

I have a golden retriever (Nick aka Puppy Love aka P. Love aka Nick-o-rus (the Asian pronounciation of Nicholas) aka Senior Baby Boy) and so I love seeing Wrigs. The more pics the better! You're a great doggie mommy.

Keep up the great bloggin' work!

Me said...

Hi! I'm so glad you said hello and thanks for the compliment! Sometimes I feel like this blog is becoming a public diary of our spousal squabbles (or our pet's photo album) but either way, it's nice to know others out there can relate and enjoy. The hubby's not always too thrilled with some of these posts, but at least I get them off my chest and then move on. It's great therapy in a sense.

Wrigs sends kisses and belly rubs to Nick-o-rus (love that name.) Oh and he also wants to know if you want his brother, Chumey the cat.

Goooo Cubbies! =)