Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Secret Squirrel French Toast


This morning I awoke to the smell of sweet breakfast foods wafting through the house. I was smiling before my eyes even opened. Tom was downstairs making a special birthday breakfast, trying to do so quietly, but I'd hear an occasional clang of a pan or sudden sizzle on the griddle. Once I got myself out of bed I was quickly overcome by another smell. This time, not so pleasant. Chum was sitting, paws tucked in, on the ottoman in the bedroom just staring at me. It's creepy but that's how he starts his morning wake up and if I don't get out of bed fast, then he attacks. As I got closer to Chum, I sniffed him, he smelled the same, not great, but not terribly putrid. I walked to the couch and sniffed and though the smell was stronger nothing was wet. I sniffed around the entire bedroom and the smell seemed to be strongest by the couch but since nothing was wet I headed downstairs.

Tom made a fabulous french toast, which in all our years together, he has never made before. It was sooo good and I asked him what he used to make it and he replied that it's his Grandma's secret recipe and he won't tell me until we've been married for 10 years. To quote he said, "If we make it to the 10 year mark, I'll hand over the recipe, tied up in a bow. Until then...NOTHIN'. Enjoy your breakfast!" So now I know what I'm getting for our anniversary. But I didn't want to wait another day, so I scanned the counter tops and the little sneak had already put away all the ingredients he used to make the toast! I begged him to tell me and I said if I guess the ingredients will you just say yes or no. He thought for a minute then said, "Ahhh, No."

Well when I opened the pantry to get my latte mix I noticed that many of the items that are kept in their proper place had been all shifted around. I noticed a cereal box put back the wrong way, the vanilla extract was not facing outward, the cinnamon bottle was mixed in with my salty herbs and spicy spices (oh the horror!) and to top it all off the cap on the honey jar was...well, ajar! I probably could moonlight as a private investigator after zeroing in on this one. So now I know the secret ingredients but he claims he purposely moved those things around to "throw me off track." I'm not buying it.

As for the animals, we discovered that Wrigley is fascinated by this musical card my mom gave me. As soon as the music starts to play (it's this funny high pitched Chipmunk type song) he s-l-o-w-l-y sits down and just stares at the card. I think it puts him into some sort of a trance so I'm going to take this card with me on our walks when he starts jumping on other dogs. And as for Chum, well he didn't attack me first thing in the morning which was very sweet and surprising. He waited until after breakfast was finished because I didn't leave any bits for him on my plate. So I guess technically, it's sort of my own fault. I have video of the attack, I'll post in a bit, just charging up the camera.

2 comments:

Najia said...

When's the anniversary!? I thought for sure you were past the 10 year mark, you old bag.

I want Grandma's secret recipe too when you get it!!!

ChiTown Girl said...

um, helllooo! what the hell was the foul smell? were you just smelling your own funk again?