Thursday, May 27, 2010

beauty buys

I found an at home hair color kit that I really like. It's by Loreal and it's a 2 parter (which is kind of a pain) but you color first, then dry (I just went to bed) and then in the morning I added the highlights. I refuse to pay $120+ dollars for salon treatments because my hair grows so fast that within 2.5 weeks you can already see my roots, visibly. And I always seem to have more breakage after a salon coloring so for $12, this is a great find.


I'm still going bald though, and I got my Joan River Great Hair Day in the mail and I really don't like it. Tom says it looks horrendous and I kind of have to agree with him. It's not a total wash though because the color I ordered - blonde but it's pretty dark, almost brown- is similar to the eyebrow color that I use so I've been using that on my brows and this will probably last me a lifetime. There is propecia in it though so I hope my brows don't grow into bushy caterpillars. This product smells sooooo good, I don't know what's in it to make it smell this way but I like it.

So I seem to have trouble finding the right deodorant. I've tried all sorts of drug store brands and after a while they just don't seem to work. Then I tried this deodorant lotion from Kiehl's and I don't think it's strong enough. Nordstrom always has this Donna Karan Cashemere Mist deodorant at the check outs and today I decided to try it. I think I put too much on, it's a little strong so tomorrow I'll try cutting back and maybe only do one swipe.

Lately my skin has been looking dull and lifeless and after doing some research online and in person, I'm back to using Clinique's 3 step system. What's funny is that I used to use this back in HIGH SCHOOL! The only thing that bugged me was that big bar of soap but now they make a liquid soap in a pump so it's not as messy. The saleslady told me if I keep this up both day and night there will be a VISIBLE difference in less than 3 months. We'll see, between this and going bald, I need all the help I can get.



Oh and one last thing, my big splurge. My hair is very curly which means its very dry due to blow drying and flat ironing, and for my birthday one of my friends bought me a tube of Kerastase conditioner and I was hooked. I used to use their products regularly but stopped cuz they were too expensive. Well this tube lasted about 6 months mostly because I don't wash my hair everyday and I'd also mix in other conditioners about once a week. So I justified the expense if I could make it last 6 months and went to purchase another one. The man at the salon suggested I try this deep conditioning mask instead, and all I can say is WOW. It makes your hair so soft and silky but you have to purchase these products at accredited salons because if you find them at discount stores, ebay or even online retailers, odds are it's not the same product.

Here's an excerpt taken from the Kerastase site: "Kérastase is only available through our website and Kérastase Consultant Salons. When you see Kérastase for sale anywhere else, this is known as diversion. Diverted products can be counterfeit, diluted formulas, or old, expired formulas that may not be safe to use. Contaminated or counterfeit products could cause irritation or even infection."

(I realize the link to the mask above is taken from one of those discount sites but I'm too tired to change that and also there were reviews on the product which I thought were helpful. Regardless it's not cheap but definitely worth it, especially if you can make it last half the year.)

G'night.

5 comments:

oneandahalfcats said...

Some of those over the counter products are pretty good. I use L'Oreal's Moisture Active (which is a semi).

I stopped doing the salon route for semi's as it was just getting too expensive and each treatment felt like my head was going through some kind of radiation experiment. It's a wonder that women don't end up growing a third breast or something, with the products being so strong.

Anonymous said...

Kerastase is one of the best products ever. I use the conditioner in the green tub but to take a break from it this go round because I couldn't afford it and got this John Frieda conditioner instead and it hasn't even been a full week and I can already tell a difference. I miss my Kerastase conditioner. :(

Rebekah said...

Hey! Have you ever tried Mary Kay's Miracle Set? It really does offer a 'Miracle' every morning and night. If you ever want to try a free sample, I can send you a facial-in-a-bag and I'll even throw in a free microdermabrasion treatment. :) Or, you could find a local Mary Kay Consultant to get a sample. Let me know if you'd ever be interested and I can pop it in the mail.

www.marykay.com/rebekahbayes

Anne Good said...

We had Kerastase in our salon for several years and it's great! Even better though is a random product called "It's a ten". They have a leave in conditioner that's to die for. It does ten different things like add shine, act as a heat protector, smooth, etc. http://www.itsa10haircare.com/its_a_10.html

Me said...

Oh Rebekah you are sweet to offer to send a sample. Surprisingly, I'm already noticing a difference with the Clinique products and it's only been a few days. I need to stick with this for 3months for best results so I hope I can do it! Thank you for your offer though.