Wednesday, March 05, 2008

LEMONS LEMONS LEMONS!

One lemon, two lemons, three lemons...four.

Five lemons, six lemons...I'm a lemon whore!

I love lemons! Fresh, homegrown lemons, that is. Like these above, plucked this morning from the lemon tree in our backyard. I use them in everything: to flavor fish, salads, yogurt and of course atop of big chilled glass of freshly brewed sun tea. And they are a must have in cocktails. Love them in vodka/sodas and also in my famous Lemon-Berrytini. And when you've sucked them dry of juice use them to scrub down the sink then toss them into the disposal for a citrus cleansing. We've got quite a few big ones this year so I'd like to make Lady Bird Johnson's famous lemon cake. Here's the recipe.

We also have an over abundance of oranges. Could be from all the rain? And our peach tree is already in full bloom. Every day I see a new little nub sproutin'.

Last year we planted two grape vines (a red and a white) but they're not quite grapey yet. I guess growing grapes is somewhat of an art form. Probably why wine tastes so damn good!

I'm also revamping the vegetable garden. Last season (which is really year round) I went a bit overboard with too many different types of veggies and half of them went to the birds. So now I'm going to stick with the basics: tomatoes, a few varieties of peppers, green beans and of course a kick ass herb garden. Gotta love the herbs. Except for cilantro. YACK!

I wonder what herb helps with sinus headaches? Must. Plant. Now.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

this post makes me long for summer and lemonade!
u didn't mention making lemonade with your lemons?
home made lemonade. yummy. u could add vodka to it too.

Anonymous said...

That front lemon looks more like a grapefruit to me! What do you use to fertilize that tree, I'd love to know.

Christina said...

You should send them to Yoshi. For all the clementines they've given you over those years, I'm sure they would appreciate it!

Peter said...

Know how to make a sidecar?

2 oz. cognac (cheap cognac is better than American brandy)

2 oz. cointreau

1 oz. fresh lemon juice

Shake, pour into martini glass.

You could cut the ingredients in half I suppose. But seriously, why would you?

ChiTown Girl said...

i'm right there with ya on the cilantro thing. there has never been a more vile plant.

Anonymous said...

Benadryl Sinus is the wonder drug of choice for relieving sinus pressure and pain. I have chronic sinus issues and pop those like candy.

Anonymous said...

Speaking of candy, why not make lemon candy?

Mary Beth said...

Those lemons look luscious (sorry, had to keep the alliteration going). To my way of thinking, there is nothing like the smell of citrus. I am truly jealous of your riches:)

ChiTown Girl said...

Don't forget that you can cut a lemon in half and use it to exfoliate your elbows. Are you supposed to also use salt, or is that how you clean a wooden cutting board? Whatever, you're so crusty, it couldn't hurt ;-)

My father makes THE BEST Italian ice. There's nothing like it. Good thing he brought some tricks of the trade with him from the old country. I can't even share his recipe with you, cuz he won't share it with us! Whenever we mention it, he just makes some to shut us up. We're so easily placated... I could really use about a dozen of those yellow beauties, since we haven't had his Italian ice since last summer. My mouth is literally watering just thinking about it!

Anonymous said...

Italian ice is heavenly. Now my mouth is watering too. Summer better hurry up and come here fast!

Tara J. Tew said...

I want your back yard!!! Between the gardening and the veggies and fruit, what a nice day!!!
Except for the poo, that is...

Me said...

We're now adding a plum and a pear tree in the backyard! All we need now is a partridge.

ChiTown Girl said...

David Cassidy is trying to restart his career, I think, so maybe he'd be willing to come sit in your tree. tee hee!