It's ok if I don't "belong" to a church or have ties to any doctrine of religious beliefs especially when I view them as judgments passed on from those who don't necessarily practice what they preach. Just look at the scandal in the catholic church with all those sickwad priests. I know it's not ALL of them but that pretty much turned me sour especially since the higher ups in the church desperately tried to cover them up. Yeah, that's who I want guiding my moral actions. No thank you.
So, I've decided to come up with a list of my own beliefs (not rules or conditions) for re-inventing my faith in the spirit. I think that's what I'm going to call my new religion: Faith in Spirit.
You're welcome to join. It's open to all.
Here's what it takes to be a member:That's all I have for right now. I have a bunch more swirling in my head but I have to get some real work done!
- Be Kind. Be Honest. Be True to Yourself.
- Accept others for who they are, don't try to change them.
- Avoid toxic relationships, don't just turn the other cheek, it's ok to end them.
- Smile whenever you see a dog. (Ok so I'm making this one a rule.)
- Give for the sake of giving, not in hopes of receiving.
- Help others who are in need.
- You don't have to love your enemies, save your love for those who deserve it.
- Treat all animals with respect.
- Respect our earth and appreciate nature.
- Realize that money and material things do not equate to personal fulfillment or success.
- Strive for peace in your heart and home.
No need to worry about going to hell if you:
- Take the Lord's name in vain. Sometimes it's really the only thing that makes you feel better and God loves you and would want you to feel better.
- Have pre-marital sex. What if you never meet the right person and never get married? Should you sacrifice the enjoyment of sharing your God given sexuality? Nooooo. Go have fun. But avoid adultery.
- Indulge (or even over-indulge) in alcoholic beverages. After all, it was Jesus who turned water into wine for all of his faithful followers. (Could you imagine if he were alive today? He'd be the hit of every party.)
- Make decisions regarding the welfare of your body. You only get one and no one else should govern what you can and can't do with it.
- Pursue your passions in life. Don't ever let anyone else tell you different.
- Leave an unhealthy marriage. You are not a sinner in the eyes of God. You are just human.