Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Reconnecting


In the last 2 weeks Tom and I have not seen each other much at all nor have we had a conversation that didn't revolve around Chumley's pee or Wrigley's worms (which are gone by the way.) So this morning we decided to head out for a nice breakfast together, just to catch up. We brought Wrigs with us.

We sat outside and I sipped my coffee as Tom and Wrigs drank their water. We use this handy little fold up bowl for Wrigley that my mother in law gave us that's great for walks and outings. I made sure to anchor it carefully against a ledge because Wrigs sometimes has a tendency to step on it and spill out all the water.

So we sat and sipped, sipped and sat, just enjoying the quiet of the morning. No sooner did our food come, when this woman, maybe in her late 60's early 70's comes hobbling up the sidewalk with her little scruffy dog. The woman was a bit unsteady on her feet but she was moving pretty fast. Her dog comes charging towards Wrigley who's so submissive that he just stands still letting this guy sniff him everywhere, and I mean EVERYWHERE. We smile at the woman who is not even attempting to pull her dog off Wrigley and then we praise Wrigley for being such a good boy while he's basically getting an anal bath. The womans asks what our dog's name is and we tell her, then feel obligated to ask what her sadistic dog's name is and she says it's Harvey.

We try to get back to eating and politely say, "Ok Harvey, nice to meet you" while tugging Wrigley away. The woman then says, "Oh they're eating!" and I'm thinking to myself, 'What the heck gave that away? The fact that our plates are full and I'm shoving a forkful of pancakes into my mouth??' But instead I smile and say, "Yep! Breakfast time." and she continued to just stand there. I'm feeling a little awkward because I can't eat with this woman standing there staring at us so I put my fork down. Tom was so hungry he continued to shovel in his food, he could care less if this woman stripped naked and sat in the middle of our table. But he raised his eyebrows a few times, indicating he wasn't exactly thrilled with the whole thing either.

The woman's looking at Tom, I'm looking at the woman and Harvey is still assaulting poor Wrigs who is looking at me for intervention. It's now turning into an uncomfortable situation. The woman says AGAIN, "You're eating breakfast!" Tom says sternly with a mouthful, "YES WE ARE." Then she starts tugging at Harvey's leash but he doesn't want to move so she bends down unsteadily to grab him at the collar. She spots Wrigley's bowl of water and almost falls over as she reaches for it. She picks it right up and flings it in the air spilling water everywhere, including on herself, Harvey and Wrigs. Tom puts his fork down and slowly mouths the word...T O R N A D O. We now realize that this woman has some issues. She stands there mumbling and I tell her it's ok about the water, not to worry. She continues to mumble, still holding the bowl. Tom and I are just sitting there taking all of this in, then FINALLY she drops the bowl and starts to walk away. Once she passes our table she yells out in an annoyed tone, "Come on Harvey, they're eating breakfast!"

I say to Tom, "What the "bleep" was that???" He says, "I think I just caught a glimpse of you in 30 years".

So much for our special breakfast.

No comments: