Thursday, June 18, 2009

stillness

Tom and I just returned from playing a quick game of tennis. Courts are just down the street from our house, and the views are amazing- water and mountains all around. As we're running around the court, huffing, puffing and smacking the ball, I notice the other people around us. They're laying on blankets, sitting on benches, or sprawled out on the bluff by the shore, all just being still, taking in the sights, sounds and smells around them. When Tom and I stopped for a "quick water break" I asked him, "When was the last time we just sat like all these people?" He responded, "Never??" And he's right. For as long as I can remember we have never just sat still, together. We're always doing something, there's never complete stillness whether it be our bodies or our minds. Even if we have a picnic at the beach I would bring a bag of knitting and a book, Tom would bring golf or fishing magazines and of course we'd have our phones. I asked him if he'd like to give this stillness thing a try and bring a blanket and nothing else, (ok maybe a bottle of wine but that's it) and see if we like it. He shrugged and said it can't hurt. Then he said he thought I'd have the hardest time with it and after 5 minutes I'd be ready to go. I told him I'm up for the challenge and will just have to see what happens. Not sure when we're going to try this but I hope it's before the end of the year.

6 comments:

MB said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gberger said...

It can't hurt; it might be really pleasant. XO

Anonymous said...

You're so right - ! I think of that verse "Be still and know that I am God." I am going to try and BE STILL a few times this week...(with or without the wine - depending...) thank you for the reminder!

L in Alaska...

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a relaxing thing to do. Let us know how it goes...

ChiTown Girl said...

So I guess tantric sex is out for you guys.....

Anonymous said...

I was thinking the same thing last night as my husband and I were careening down the road trying to make a dinner date with another couple on time. All the while we're making important calls, sending out e-mails, etc. We NEVER just sit relax and sit around-it's always GO, GO, GO and do as many things at once as you can. When does it ever end?! So I know EXACTLY what you're talking about!

-Solus