Sunday, September 14, 2008

the subject of spiders

So there must have been a recent hatchling of spider eggs in our house because I am seeing a TON of little black hairy beasts running all over the place. Today while on the phone with Tom I tell him that our house could be used as the set for Arachnophobia 3. Then he says, "Wait til you're in Seattle." I scream, "WHAT?? Do they have worse spiders there???" He says, "Yes, and they're pretty big too." I panic, choke, fight back tears, and then say, "Please tell me they don't have Wolf Spiders."

and this was his response...

"Not sure about those, but they have GIGANTIC Dandy Long Legs."

I think we have encountered our first "Tomism." My mom's got some competition.

For some reason right after he said that an image of a tap dancing, hat wearing, cane twirling spider with a smiley face popped into my head.

Maybe they won't be so bad after all.

9 comments:

Busy Bee Suz said...

Dandy Long Legs. Cute.
Those are actually the only ones that don't freak me out.
We had a wolf spider in our garage about 6 years ago. I am still wary of going out there...I know he is lurking and just waiting to attack me.

Christina said...

I don't believe that is Tom's first momism. As far as Christina Shaver is concerned, it's referring to himself in the third person.

Gina said...

hehehe dandy long legs!!

i have also noticed an abundance of spiders all around this summer... and really big one too!

HWHL said...

"Dandy Long Legs"??
Oh my gosh.... I'm laughing so hard.... he and your mom should go on tour together. :-)

Wolf spiders are everywhere... hate to say it. They're not aggressive though and smash readily under a well-placed sandal.
:-)

ChiTown Girl said...

We have been having weird spider issues here, too. What the hell? I had a HUGE one in the basement the other day. I swear it was a tarantula!! I saw it from half-way down the stairs in the middle of the floor, that's how BIG it was!!

Anonymous said...

That is too funny! There have been so many spiders that I finally killed one. So.Not.Me.

Hey, what's that on your arm!! (Bet your itching now, huh? hehe)

Gberger said...

I agree with HWHL: shoes are the first line of defense in the war on spiders...But I don't think I'm going to nominate Tom to become a member of the PR campaign for "moving to the city of Seattle."

Unknown said...

The spiders here are smaller, although abundant. We have what I like to call "spider season" which is fall and spring basically. In my area, since it's wooded, there are many times when I'm walking to my door and look up at the bushes and see maybe 6 or so mini spiders in their webs...kind of freaky. They don't really get in the house though. Although I haven't seen them, black widows and brown recluses (the most poisonous spiders I think) are native to here...but they're not the big, hairy kinds here, so that's a little bit better, right? :)

Natalie said...

Just a word of encouragement, my bf was in Seattle last weekend and he said it was gorgeous. Mid 70's during the day and 50's at night. Not a drop of rain the whole time. There is hope for you ;)