Monday, June 25, 2007

not my fault

Again the earthquake buzz is hot here in S. Cal. It comes in waves but if there's no other earth shattering news to speak of (aside from Paris Hilton's release from the clink) it ultimately circles back to The Big One. I usually just turn the channel when the newscasters start their exaggerated "predictions" (each one trying to freak out the other on when it's going to hit and the magnitude of the disaster) because I used to go into panic mode - making sure our survival kit is up to date, pictures of us and the pets are current and replenishing the water and canned goods supply in the garage. So today I'm driving and I tune the radio dial to Jack FM. Often times they have a pretty good mix of music (for short drives, otherwise it's got to be Satellite radio) and their slogan is "Playing What We Want". So today the DJ intros the next song and says, "Jack FM, the only station in Southern California playing what we want, until... the San Andreas kills us all!" (then he pauses and says) "Oh F*ck". (the last part, obviously bleeped.)

Way to leave your listeners that warm, fuzzy feeling Mr. Jack ASS!


Speaking of the San Andreas, Natalie Merchant has a great song off her TigerLily album called San Andreas Fault, about life and dreams in California crushed by an earthquake. It's believed that this song was written after the 1994 Northridge quake (pic above) that killed over 60 people and injured 1600. It's such a pretty song. I wish I knew how to link mp3's on the blog. Peter??? Any suggestions?

Until then here are just some of the lyrics:

San Andreas Fault
Moved its fingers
Through the ground
Earth divided
Plates collided
Such an awful sound

San Andreas Fault
Moved its fingers
Through the ground
Terra cotta shattered
And the walls came
Tumbling down

O, promised land
O, wicked ground
Build a dream
Tear it down

O, promised land
What a wicked ground
Build a dream
Watch it all fall down

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that song by N. Merchant. Just hope it doesn't come true one day!

Christina said...

That whole idea that California is going to fall in the water someday scares me too. And I don't even live there! My cousins do, and it's no big deal to them. I remember the Northridge earthquake mostly because from all the way out here in Chi-town, I was worried about all of them.

And since I only now have caught up with your blog after a few days of not being online --

1. What is up with the headstands? And how do you keep your shirts from not falling in your face. Or maybe this is a problem I would have considering the lack of rack.

2. Does your dad look like Tom in that picture or is it just me? Is it the hair? I'm not sure.

3. Whenever it is we get to see each other in person again, we're going to have to have some Manhattan's in honor of your dad and toss around some peanuts.

4. LOVE the floral. Love it.

Me said...

Handstands have just sort of evolved. I think I need an intervention to make me stop.
I don't really see the Tom resemblance in that pic but there are other pics, )a few from his baseball days) where my Dad and Tom sort of look like they could be related. I'll have to post some.
Do you remember Julie and Dave's wedding and how our entire table drank Manhattans and were flinging the jordan almonds across the dance floor? That was a blast. Oh I mailed 2 cameras (remember they are broken) off to Evan but as I was writing your address I felt so bad I didn't send anything to Tyler! So I put his name on the envelope too so maybe Evan can share his cameras with him? Just be careful (as I'm sure you would be anyway) in case any small parts break off. Watch Evan will probably find a way to get these cameras working again!