Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Don't Cry Over Spilled Milk

Unless it happens to be all over the cat.

I had just returned from a walk on the lake and was famished. I poured a big bowl of granola cereal and then poured in about twice the amount of milk as I'm trying to use it all up before the expiration date. The milk was just hovering below the rim of the bowl and I didn't want to walk to the kitchen table and risk spillage, plus I was too hungry to wait 3 seconds so I just started eating it standing up near the kitchen sink. Wrigs was pooped from the walk and was sprawled out like a frog panting heavily, in the middle of the kitchen. In walks Chum through the little kitty cut out door and all at once there is a stand off. For those of you who have been to our house, (even once, for 5 minutes) you all know what a stand off is. Both animals become frozen in time and only make sideways eye contact. This can last anywhere from 10 seconds to a full minute depending on the moods of the beasts. Today's stand off was quick, so quick that I didn't even have time to put down my bowl of cereal. Wrigs leapt up and tried to smother Chum, Chum is under Wrig's belly SCREAMING bloody murder and I'm trying to pull Wrigs by the collar to release the terrified cat. I finally get Wrigs off Chum but he pulls away and causes me to almost drop my full bowl of cereal. I spill about half the milk and granola all over an already frenzied Chum. Chum tries to jump up on the counter to get away but doesn't clear it and slips back down onto more of the spilled milk that Wrigley is now frantically lopping up like a maniac as well as smearing all over the floor with his paws. I just stood and watched the mess unfurl and finished what was left in my bowl (about 3 bites). Then I rushed to give Chum a few treats (such is the routine after an attack of this nature) and he seemed to be okay after stuffing his face with a few of his favorite fish smellin' nuggets. As for my back, that's another story.

No comments: