Saturday, November 04, 2006

Anyone know a plumber?

Why is it that the majority of our Home Remodeling Projects start with (or result in) a crisis? Tom comes home from a trip the other day and notices some water in the garage. He asks me if I've ever seen it there before and I say no but I did notice some standing water on the bathroom floor which is adjacent to the garage a couple days ago. So we head into the bathroom but there is no water to be found. We checked under the sink and in the shower and behind the toilet and there was no leak that we could see. Then I thought I heard a drip, drip drip. Tom and I turned off all the lights because the humming of the lights was causing some noise and then I was able to pin point a drip in the bathroom ceiling. I jumped up on the countertop and realized then that the entire counter top was soaked with water. We figured the drip was coming from the ceiling and may have been sliding down behind the mirror so Tom removed the mirror and this is what we found...

The wall appeared somewhat soft to the touch in some parts and Tom shook his head and said, "This is not good." I asked him if there was any way we could tackle this project after Thanksgiving because we have five family members coming here and the last thing I want is for our house to be torn to bits. He did not appreciate that question and went about his path of destruction into the bathroom. Part of me thinks he really enjoys this because it gives him a chance to use his tough guy tools. So I left him alone and then came back to this...


He still couldn't find the leaky pipe and I reminded him that I had heard the leak in the ceiling so he removed our 1984 light panels and this is what we found....




Tom was back in action with his gear and hacked away at the ceiling for a while and I kept myself busy baking dog treats. Several moments later I popped back in just to see this...



The leaky pipe was then discovered and Tom had to make an HDR (Home Depot Run) for some more tools and repair items BUT so far it's holding up ok. In the meantime we've decided to redo that bathroom since half of it is already torn apart. We just have to decide on what exactly we are going to do so until then it's going to have to look like this....


At least we don't have termites.

2 comments:

Christina said...

Oh my God. I wouldn't even begin to know how to fix that. You and your leaky pipes!!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.