Thursday, November 12, 2009

Perspective

I think about those who are fighting in this war, risking their lives, losing their sanity, not knowing if they will ever see their families again. Then I think about their families, wrought with worry, so helpless to keep their loved ones safe from the harm that can strike at any minute. But yet, full of hope that they will return to their home, safely...where they belong.

Then I see someone at the local coffee shop, furiously upset at the barrista because her latte tastes "too bitter".

And I think, perspective.

Then, I think, maybe this is the wife of some soldier on his 4th tour, fighting for our freedoms, HER freedom to complain openly and loudly that her latte is not to her liking, and maybe she is at the end of her rope distraught from the constant fear of possibly never seeing her husband again, having to raise her 5 out of control children alone, and maybe...maybe she is not well? Maybe she is terminally ill and after months and months of horrifying treatments she is finally able to enjoy this one small cup of coffee and when she finally clutches it in her hands and holds it up to her nose, she delights in the aroma..."Oh how I've missed thee!", she thinks to herself. And then she takes that first sip and...

...goes bat shit crazy.

I'm not saying I wish these horrible circumstances upon this woman, but I just hope that people take the time to be grateful for the blessings and freedoms we have that so many others will never get to experience.

Our troops are out there fighting and dying every single day. Innocent people are also dying along with them. Right now as we sit in the comforts of our warm homes and tap into our computers to read blogs, or write emails or share photos with friends on facebook, people are struggling, suffering, dying.

I wish I had the courage to say that to woman at the coffee shop, but I didn't. I don't know her story and really- who am I to tell someone to shut the F up when I tend to bitch and moan about less important things too? We all do, but it doesn't mean that we don't acknowledge the sacrifices others make for the freedoms we have in this country.

So let's not take them for granted.

That's all I'm saying.

2 comments:

Terry said...

You said it well!

Gina said...

excellent post! You never know what someone else is going through. its so easy to judge, much harder to think about the reason behind someones actions or attitude.